The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking is a new UK product marking that will be used for goods being placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland). It covers most goods which previously required the CE marking.

How UKCA marking will be applied?

Beginning on January 1st, 2021, manufacturers can start applying the UKCA Mark to their products, if their products are already CE marked or if it meets the requirements of applicable EU standards.

If the product is not already CE Marked, testing would need to be conducted to the EN standards so that the CE and/or UKCA mark can be applied to the product.

Manufacturers can supply a UKCA Declaration of Conformity beginning on January 1st, 2021. However, for most cases, it will not be mandatory until the end of the implementation period (January 1st, 2021 and January 1st, 2022).

How to sell goods in Great Britain?

The UKCA marking will apply to most goods currently subject to the CE marking.

From 1 January 2021 the technical requirements you must meet, and the conformity assessment processes and standards that can be used to demonstrate conformity, will be mostly the same as they are now.

The UKCA marking can be used from 1 January 2021. However, to allow businesses time to adjust to the new requirements, you will still be able to use the CE marking until 1 January 2022 in most cases.

In some cases you will need to apply the new UKCA marking to goods being sold in Great Britain immediately from 1 January 2021. You are encouraged to be ready to use the UKCA marking as soon as possible before this date.

The CE marking will only be valid in Great Britain for areas where GB and EU rules remain the same. If the EU changes its rules and you CE mark your product on the basis of those new rules you will not be able to use the CE marking to sell in Great Britain even before 31 December 2021.

What are the Declaration of Conformity Requirements for the United Kingdom?

CE Mark and EU Declaration of Conformity are still valid until the CE mark is no longer accepted in the UK (date unknown at this point).

Largely like an EU Declaration of Conformity.

Has the same content as an EU Declaration of Conformity, but no reference to the EU Directives (only lists the standards).

UKCA mark is only accepted in the UK Market. It is not valid in the EU.

UK is still using standards that are also acceptable for CE compliance, for now.

Please note that all information is subject to change as the UK and EU continue to make Brexit transition adjustments.

For further details, check this guidance published by UK government: Using the UKCA mark from 1 January 2021 (Guidance)

Do you need UKCA marking or related testing, certification services for your products?

Contact Testups and get your quote for UKCA marking.